Thursday, February 23, 2012

'gogh' rodarte

A design duo that consistently puts out beautiful collections is Rodarte. I was excited to read in the February issue of Vogue that their Spring 2012 collection was based on Van Gogh - my favourite artist!

Starry Night is my favourite painting of all time (I have it hanging in my bedroom, in fact). I also have a bag, pillow and laptop skin with the painting printed on it. Anytime I see anything with this painting printed on it, I feel compelled to buy it...

Ok, so I'm a little obsessed with Van Gogh. But how could you not be?!

I mean, look how gorg?!
Blue and yellow are common colours throughout VG's work, and this is my favourite colour combination of all time. When I was entering young adulthood and wanted to change my bedroom from its childish pink and white theme to something more "stylish", I couldn't wait to cover everything with yellow and blue. I'm pretty sure my wedding is going to include some combination of blue and yellow as the predominant theme (and sunflowers. VG and I both love sunflowers). 

Anyway, Kate and Laura's VG inspired collection is like this colour obsession of mine made real:




So many gorgeous sunflower prints. This is the perfect theme for a Spring collection because what says 'Spring' more than sunny yellow blooms and clear sky-blues?



Not all of Rodarte's pieces are exactly things I could wear to the office, even if I could afford them, nor would many of the shapes be flattering on me, but I love to look at them. They always create the most beautiful prints and their pieces are a great mixture of soft and sculptural. I mean, just look at this wheat-print dress from their Fall 2011 collection (you can almost feel the wind whispering through the stalks):


Plus, they are always collaborating outside the fashion world with the most interesting partners - they designed costumes for the movie Black Swan, and for a real-life ballet (One Thing Leads to Another), produced an art book with photographer Catherine Opie, and they are designing the costumes for the LA Philharmonic's production of Don Giovanni (Frank Gehry is designing the sets). I love that they are always pushing for inspiration while still staying in touch with their California-girl roots.

Thanks to the Rodarte sisters, I will go to sleep tonight with swirls of colour dancing through my head. Starry, starry night indeed.

*All images via Vogue

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading!