Thursday, December 15, 2011

Bouquets of Sharpened Pencils

Remember when I entered this contest to win $500 in books from Chronicle? Weeeeeell, alas I did not win. Again. What can I say - I'm not very lucky I guess.

Ah well, there's always next year! And congrats to the winner! Besides, that's not all they wrote because - as a thank you for participating in the promotion - Chronicle is giving a great discount on book orders:


up to 35% off + Free Ground Shipping
Enter HAULIDAYS at checkout

Go forth and purchase books at a discount! For some reason this statement makes me think of Joe Fox - "I sell cheap books! I do! So sue me". (completely off-topic but You've Got Mail is one of the cutest movies ever).

Speaking of books, I sorta found out about one of my big Christmas gifts a little early...


AHHHHH - that's right, baby. It's a Kobo Vox e-reader (for my American friends, this is basically the Canadian Kindle - the Canindle?). I just love the concept of these things - I love having hundreds of books and magazines and newspapers right at my fingertips with no wasteful piles of paper and ink (or sagging, space-sucking bookshelves). I take the bus every day and always have a book with me to read, so this thing will definitely get some use. Very handy for the morning commute.

Ok, so it's not really a surprise but my mom had to tell me I was getting it so she could make sure to get me the one I wanted. And this is my big gift - I find now that I'm no longer a kid (well, at least not in age) I am more interested in getting one main gift every Christmas than piles and piles of gifts. It's more about quality - i.e. getting one gift that will be really useful to me - than quantity - i.e. getting as many gifts as possible. Last year I asked for a Tassimo coffeemaker. Next year I'll probably ask for a vacuum or something similarly lame.

So, what are you asking for for Christmas? Do you have an e-reader? If so, what do you think of it? What are your thoughts on e-books vs. paper books?

Happy Haulidays, all! Only one week away (as hard as it is to believe).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm all about paper books! Don't get me wrong, I don't mind technology. I find it useful - in a good way. Like science. But there are some things about it that I do not agree with.

Hence the e-readers. I love holding, feeling and smelling books. (not in a weird way) but there is something about books.

Peter parker said...

Issues due to being unable to send Bitcoin from Binance account
Are you dealing with a trouble while sending bitcoin from Binance account? Binance is the leading exchange across the globe and known for delivering seamless trading services. If you are having an issue in sending bitcoin, you can directly contact with the team of skilled experts who are there to assist you. You need to call on Binance support phone number which is functional all the time to assist you. The team is always available all the time to do the needful and assist users in fixing their problem.

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading!