Thursday, October 7, 2010

Our House (is a very very very Fine House)

The street is named after a city in Ireland (Dublin). The vertical streets running north are all named after European cities, in fact - Vienna, Berlin, Edinburgh, London, Liverpool - and are full of old homes between 60-100 years old. When the Halifax Explosion occurred, almost this entire end of the city was flattened. Entire neighbourhoods had to be rebuilt, and many of these homes sprung up as part of that movement.

The streets are not only filled with beautiful homes, but with quaint coffee shops, book shops, and small restaurants. This "North End" was always the "slummy" part of town but it's really come a loooong way in the past few years and it now has a young, hip, artsy, granola sensibility to it, which is awesome. There are constantly people walking dogs and pushing strollers, yet there's hardly any traffic noise most days and it's quiet enough to hear a pin drop at night. Despite this tranquility, it's within a 30 minute walk to many of the main attractions and thoroughfares in town.

There is a huge, lovely church across the street, which (even if you don't visit it) is nice to look at.

View outside my living room window - Winter 2009
  The streets are lined on either side with huge, old, majestic trees that envelope the cars, homes and people below in a comforting avenue and remind them of just how long they have been around.

Fall 2009
This is where I live and I love it.

What do you love about where you live?

This entry is brought to you by Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

#1 I love that song!

#2 The view from your living room is pretty magical -- lucky! There's a town adjacent to where I live that's going through the kind of transformation that your city's going through and lately I've been thinking about relocating there, when it's time to Make The Big Move.

#3 What I love most about where I live is that it's where I grew up, so I always feel at ease here. Also, it's free. That's a huge plus :P

Keira Lennox said...

Kim, I think we may be soulmates, purely based on our shared love of friends and the two episodes you happened to mention. Love, Love, LOVE those!!

And I also love where you live! This looks like a picture right out of a movie :)

Unknown said...

Beautiful, I love this!

Keira said...

Kim, I think we may be soulmates, purely based on our shared love of friends and the two episodes you happened to mention. Love, Love, LOVE those!!

And I also love where you live! This looks like a picture right out of a movie :)

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading!